Accéder au contenu principal

Sélection

This Dragon’s Dogma 2: Dark Arisen Pre-Order Discount Gives You Another Reason To Ignore Your Pawn

This Dragon’s Dogma 2: Dark Arisen Pre-Order Discount Gives You Another Reason To Ignore Your Pawn https://ift.tt/G9PQHYB Dragon’s Dogma 2 isn’t perfect, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t one of my favorite games of 2024. Climbing a giant monster and taking it down like you’re a supernaturally powered David against a monstrous Goliath is just fun, solidified into a game mechanic, and the combat only heightens the experience. With the Dark Arisen expansion giving me another reason to return to Battahl and, well, another reason to ignore the Pawn trailing behind me as I walk over the trail of corpses I’ve left in my wake, I’m ready to become the Arisen once again. I won’t bore you with the base game's details—if you’re here, you’ve probably already played one of the best RPGs of recent years. Dark Arisen isn’t just a simple narrative patched onto the existing game, either. It’s the culmination of months of performance improvements alongside the arrival of a substantial amou...

The Silent Hill 2 Remake Is Significantly Better Than The Trailers You’ve Seen

The Silent Hill 2 Remake Is Significantly Better Than The Trailers You’ve Seen https://ift.tt/wBavmTf

There is no genre quite like horror. At its best, it's so much more than guts and gore, or tired tropes and torture scenes. It's self-reflection. It's catharsis.

It's entering an implicit agreement with a work's creator: If you spill your guts out to me (metaphorically or perhaps literally), then I will wade through my own, hold them up, and take note of what makes ours similar to one another. While there are certainly qualities that make for a "good" work of horror, the transcendent variety is subjective; it relies on your own fears, traumas, and beliefs to create resonance with what's laid before you. The more vulnerable a work is, the greater its opportunity to connect with--or possibly alienate--its audience. This is precisely what makes Silent Hill 2 such a memorable and pivotal entry in the horror game genre--it's sheer vulnerability creates a game wherein even alienation feels like connection.

I say all this to emphasize that the upcoming remake of this 23 year-old game is an incredibly exciting prospect to me. Though the original holds up well, there's no denying that it feels quite dated--and not always in an endearing, "time capsule" kind of way. There's also no denying that the game is incredibly influential; its DNA is woven into countless horror games and horror-adjacent titles, with last year's Alan Wake 2 proving that, even decades later, this continues to be true. This ultimately elevates Silent Hill 2's status from "great game" to a "genre essential," albeit one that is frustrating to play--or even simply access--at the moment. A remake, then, seems entirely warranted.

Continue Reading at GameSpot

Commentaires